The Coffee County EMA said it believes that the New Brockton High School students’ exposure to carbon monoxide happened off campus, according to a press release.
On Aug. 15, four NBHS students were transported to Enterprise Medical Center after showing symptoms of nausea, dizziness and headache during gym class, according to the release.
These students were originally believed to be suffering heat stress but it was discovered at EMC that the students were suffering from elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to the release.
The release states that after the discovery, the gym was evacuated and a sweep was made to check for high levels of carbon monoxide. No elevated levels were found in the gym nor in other areas of the school, according to the release.
On the night of Aug. 15, four additional NBHS students showed up to the EMC emergency room showing signs of increased carbon monoxide levels. At the time NBHS was swept again and a third time on the morning of Aug. 16 including busses. All sweeps showed no leaks of carbon monoxide, according to the release.
The CCEMA believes that the exposure to carbon monoxide did not happen at the school and have asked the Alabama Department of Public Health to help investigate, according to the release.
“We have invited Alabama Department of Public Health in to help us complete interviews with students and parents to see if we can find a commonality between these affected students,” the release states. “If any parent or student shows signs of dizziness, nausea, and headache please contact your health authority and inform the school.”
Both NBHS and New Brockton Elementary were closed on Aug. 16 as a precaution and the CCEMA said that student health is its high priority.
“We place the highest priority on the health and protection of our students and will do everything we can to discover where these students may have been exposed to carbon monoxide,” the release states.