Concession stand project going for bids

During a work session on Monday, April 15, Mayor Jayme Stayton told the Daleville City Council that plans for a new, two-story concession stand are ready for bidding.

The concession stand project started in 2016 when the council was told the project for a two-story building, which included a press box and the concession stand, had risen in cost from $250,000-$275,000 to $429,283.

In October 2018, the council discussed design options for the concession stand after Stayton presented the council with a single-story concession stand design. Council members also asked if a design for a two-story concession stand and quotes for both designs could be given to the council.

The council tabled this item of business in October and November 2018. In December 2018, Civil Southeast Engineering Group then visited the council to show some building features available and cost estimates for building both a one-story and a two-story concession stand. The council was told a one-story, 960-square foot, air-conditioned concession stand with two points of sale could cost about $350,000. A two-story, 1,600-square foot, air-conditioned concession stand with one point of sale and a scoring press box area on the second level could cost about $450,000.

The city council has budgeted $150,000 for the project.

Noting that the actual cost of the one story stand is $160,000 and $240,000 for the two story, Stayton suggested that the city could cut costs by doing some of the project itself.

In a December 2018 meeting, the council voted to authorize Stayton to start the process to have plans drawn for a new, two-story concession building.

During its work session on Jan. 14, Stayton presented preliminary plans for a new, two-story concession stand to the council, who discussed the aesthetic look of the building, its position to look at fields, the placement of stairs and more. The council voted to create specifications for the project and receive bids on the new, two-story design on Jan. 15.

On April 15, Stayton presented the final plans to the council. These plans include stairs inside the building, a smaller office, windows “on both sides” to “see all ball fields from anywhere in the building,” a small office and a storage room and other features the council discussed previously. Stayton said the angle of the building is close to its current position “to make it easier for the sewer” system already in place.

Stayton said the designer also included a knee wall to cover electrical equipment needed to run the concession stand.

“They recommend that we do this because of safety,” he said. “Right now, we have the lights and everything that Mustco put up on the side of the building. They suggested taking that off there for safety reasons, and it’s going to be cluttered up.

“They want to build a 15 ft. knee wall, put all that mechanical stuff on it and then fence it in right here next to where the existing one is.”

He said the city would perform any demolition work for the project to help keep costs down, and the city would have to tell the contractor awarded the bid that the project could not start until after the city’s spring ball season, which is expected to end around June.

A bid opening will occur on Wednesday, May 8 at 2 p.m. at City Hall. The next council meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 8, at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.